Chewy Salted Caramel Blondies
I'd like to take this moment to interrupt your day to tell you salted caramel baking chips exist.
I have renamed the baking aisle of the grocery store the "inspiration aisle". I'd spend hours there if I could, perusing imported cocoa powders, smelling extracts, discovering new flours and sweeteners. But the hours of the day don't belong to me, they belong to my three kids hanging on the cart along side me. Whining, complaining, poking each other, and begging to stop at Starbucks for hot chocolate. Shopping with three testy boys doesn't leave room for such luxuries. Is it sad that the baking aisle has become a luxury in my life? Hmm...don't answer that, moving on.
Typically, I speed down every aisle, list in hand, sometimes sweating, rushed and stressed, hoping and praying I remember to grab everything before a tantrum breaks out. Store tantrums are the absolute worse. Something about all the hard surfaces, everything echoes, like surround sound. And then, the staring of strangers begins...their heads shaking...the looks of sympathy. The worst.
But every now and then, I head to the store on a Saturday...alone. It's a whole new world! I take my time, I see what's new, I get inspired. I'm like a normal person. It's such a gift. Is it sad that going to the grocery store is something I see as a gift? Hmm...don't answer that, moving on.
It was this past Saturday, during a long, peaceful stroll down the inspiration (baking) aisle, alone, that I discovered salted caramel chips. They exist! Mind blown! Where did they come from? How long have they been there? Did other moms know? Why has no one told me?!? I was so happy, SO HAPPY, I almost broke out into song.
So, without further ado, a delicious, inspired recipe, for the gooiest, chewiest, most ridiculously insane chocolate filled, Salted Caramel Blondies. I serve these warm with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
Chewy Salted Caramel Blondies
* Makes about 18
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted caramel chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9x13x2 pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter and sugars till light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients, mixing till just combined.
- With a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the semi sweet chocolate, white chocolate chips, salted caramel chips, and walnuts if using.
- Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, till golden brown. Cool on wire rack before cutting into bars.