Lemon Drop Cupcakes
Love is like lemon. It can be both sour and sweet, making you crave for more.
Today is sour, so I had to make something sweet to compensate.
Warning: This story does not pair well with food but I'm traumatized and need to share.
Typically it's my children who create the messes in my house, but today, it was me. I accidentally threw a very VERY wet and poopy diaper into the washer with my kid's laundry. If you're a parent you understand the magnitude of this situation. I essentially washed my children's clothes in toddler sewage and turned my washing machine into an outhouse. How do I fix this problem? I have no idea. I've been sitting on the laundry room floor for the past 15 minutes, just staring at the wet, soggy, pile of clothes...which is now misting. I'm currently gagging from the smell, contemplating burning all the clothes, and thinking of a clever way I can blame this on the cats.
Seriously, what does one do in the situation? Maybe apple cider vinegar? Or baking soda? Or a nuclear bomb? I should light some sage. Ohhh...Pinterest! Pinterest has solutions for everything. But what would I type into the search bar..."Quick fix for brain-dead mother who throws dirty diapers in with her kid's laundry?" Probably not a board for that. I should call my mom. She knows things. Although, I'm a mom, and I don't know anything.
I've decided to shut the door and pretend it never happened. The kids don't need clothes. Yep. Solid plan. Just let it go. At least till my husband comes home and begins asking questions. At which point, I'll distract him with sex, followed by a suggestion to sell the house. Genius. I should put that on Pinterest board.
No doubt, I've disturbed you plenty with my problems, and I appreciate you listening. Hopefully we all learned a lesson (don't be a dumbass like me). So, enough with the sour, onto the sweet. Let's turn this frown upside down with a flavor I love: Lemon. Introducing the happiest, brightest, and freshest smelling Lemon Drop cupcakes. These cupcakes are basically sunshine. I use fresh juice and zest in both the batter and the cream cheese frosting, giving them a vibrant burst of lemon flavor. They're light, fluffy, and taste like a lemonade stand on a summer day. Doesn't that sound heavenly? Especially today? Yes. Please and thank you!
Lemon Drop Cupcakes
* Makes 18 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 2 cupcake pans with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beat slowly after each addition. Scrape down the bowl when needed.
- In a small bowl, mix the vanilla with buttermilk.
- With mixer on low, add one third of the dry ingredients, followed by one third of the buttermilk mixture. Mix till combined, scrape down the bowl as needed. Repeat. Add the last third of dry ingredients, followed by the buttermilk. Mix till just combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest.
- With an ice cream scooper fill each baking cup with batter 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, till a tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter till smooth.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Mix till combined.
- Add the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes till smooth.