Fresh Strawberry Mimosa
Strawberry and champagne make a beautiful couple.
A playful pairing of bitter and sweet, there's no better combination than strawberry and champagne..
I recently shared a recipe for the fluffiest, most delicious Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce, inspired by Sarabeth's in Manhattan. The Strawberry sauce is delightfully sweet, highlighted with fresh lemon, and gives off the most gorgeous vibrant red. With sauce to spare, I couldn't help but experiment, mixing a generous dollop with chilled champagne. The result was delicious, becoming my favorite way to dress up Sunday brunch.
Makes about 2 cups
- 3 cups of fresh or thawed frozen strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh lemon zest
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Let the mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, till it reduces by ⅓ and thickens to syrup consistency.
- Take the mixture off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. As it cools it will continue to thicken. Add water by the teaspoon should it thicken too much.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
- Strawberry sauce
- Pinch of fresh lemon zest
- Chilled champagne
In the bottom of each glass, drop a heaping tablespoon of strawberry sauce. Sprinkle with a pinch of lemon zest. Fill the glass with champagne. Give it a stir and enjoy.