Skillet S'mores Dip
It's summer! The air is fresh and warm. Wildflowers are blooming. The mountains are calling and I must go...
Camping has become my favorite family activity. It started with my dad, who is a genuine mountain man. Why he's currently living beachside in California I will never understand. He's geographically displaced. He belongs by a warm campfire, moon glowing overhead, the sound of a river flowing in the background, with a guitar in hand. I will always see him this way, even when he's dressed for work or walking his dog. It's simply who he is.
A deep love for the mountains lives in my soul. My dad planted it there. At a very young age, my dad taught us to respect the mountains and all they had to offer. We'd spend summers in Sun Valley, Idaho, playing in the creeks, hiking, rafting down rivers, and camping. We never camped with a car nearby. That was cheating. We had only what we could carry on our backs. We hiked miles into the woods, surviving on trail mix and water. We slept on the ground; got eaten alive by mosquitos. Told ghost stories at night. It was the best.
At the time, I had no idea how fortunate we were to have had such experiences. We were young, wild, and free, surrounded by the breathtaking Sawtooth mountains. Nothing but wide open space to explore.
These golden memories are what brought me to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Seeing my boys have the same experience, surrounded by the Grand Teton mountains, I understand the gift my dad gave to us. And I'm so grateful to share the same gift with my kids.
And I can't wait to go camping! I've been obsessing about it for weeks, which has inspired my latest creation, skillet s'mores dip! Camping and s'mores go hand in hand. We all share the mountain spirit when we're biting into a gooey s'more. My favorite part is the family gathering it creates. And s'mores served as a dip? It's a whole new way to enjoy a classic, rustic dessert.
This playful treat is filled with melted chocolate and chopped peanuts, topped with roasted marshmallows, and scooped up with crispy honey graham crackers. It's the perfect fireside treat. Best part, you don't even need the fire. These gooey s'mores are made in the oven; for those days when you're dreaming of the mountains but can't escape.
Skillet S'mores Dip
Makes one 10" to 12" Skillet
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (feel free to use any nuts, walnuts are delicious)
- 1 bag of marshmallows (mini marshmallows will work)
- 1 tablespoon butter (for greasing the skillet)
- Honey graham crackers for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of skillet. You can also use a casserole dish.
- Combine the semisweet chocolate chips, the milk chocolate chips, and peanuts. Spread them generously in the skillet so they cover the bottom. Add more if needed, depending on skillet size.
- Arrange a single layer of marshmallows on top, with about 1/4" to 1/2" of space between them. Allow the marshmallows to fill the skillet but don't crown them together. They'll spread as they melt.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes till puffy and roasted. Start checking at 10 minutes to reach desired roasted color.
- Serve immediately with graham crackers.